First, choosing to play with that not so pretty green was a mistake! Only one out of the 4 pieces took to dye and only a little bit. Did you want some green fabric? LOL
The soft scrub white paste didn't do so well. (In hindsight, I didn't try the paste on the black fabric that dyed the best.) The soft scrub gel was a bit better. But the best results were from a mixture of 1 part clorox bleach and 1 part water. How easy!
Black scrap - used Soft Scrub paste, created 'design' on corian board with plastic point turner tool and laid fabric down on it. Patted gently and continued this process until piece was covered.

I let it set for 6 minutes and when I went to wash off the paste, the fabric shredded!
My second scrap of black that I did the same way but only let it set 2 minutes lasted fine until the washer and then it shredded.

These 2 are trash. I sure don't want my project to fall apart! It must be something with this fabric and I don't know the source.
The green fabrics did not take to the process. This is green square 1 with its Soft Scrub design. I did this like I described above for the black fabrics.
I let the Soft Scrub set on here for 2 minutes (not wanting another fabric to disintegrate!). When it was all rinsed... I had no idea I had done A THING to it! Plain green fabric.Green 2 - I used Soft Scrub gel this time, nothing. Redyed it with bleach/water combo and nothing.
Green 4 - no notes and no change in fabric either!
Green 3 - Using bleach/water combo, I applied the liquid with my gloved hand. I let it set for 1/2 hour. Result is lightly dyed fabric:
Green fabrics are FIRED from this process! I thought they'd look so nice....I had a few green scraps that had a teal tint to them and red tiny dots. The first 2 smaller pieces got Soft Scrub Gel. The dyed areas are a bit of teal/blue/gray.

The larger piece I splattered with bleach/water combo and those areas have a touch of pink to them.

Black square 1 - Using Soft Scrub gel, I dipped the opening of a jelly jar and then placed it on the fabric. This is in process:
It took 7 minutes to cover the 18 x 20" piece of fabric like this. I dripped some gel going back and forth also but those drip lines do not appear on the finished piece.I let it set 35 minutes. Slowly, I could see the rings where the gel was getting lighter. I was getting too anxious so sent it on its way for rinsing. (Flash distorts color a bit.)
This turned out nice. Here is the finished piece:
Black 2 -
I pleated the piece by hand and clamped on bulldog clips in a few places and then used rubber bands in other spots. I dipped the fabric part that was tied in the bleach/water combo for less than a minute and brushed the untied end w/ my wet hand (top of picture).It went so fast, I don't have in process pictures. This is the finished piece.
Black 3 - I applied bleach/water combo with the jar opening. It was taking many minutes and the first circles were already fading so I only did half the piece this way. The other half is splattered from a toothbrush (just a carrier, not that I flipped the bristles) with bleach/water.

This is the finished piece:
The light parts look like a dark gray/cream.Black 4 - I used a plastic point turner which has 2 flat ends and one pointy end to apply the bleach/water combo to the fabric. Imagine carrying water with a knife!

It turned out nice tho!
Black Floral - I pleated this by hand again, tied with a string (not fun!) so added some bulldog clips, and rubber bands in a sort of tie-dye fashion.
I dunked this in the bleach/water combo and nothing happened right away so I let it set a couple of minutes. When I unwrapped it there was a large area not bleached so I ran my wet gloved-hand across the still black area.Finished piece:
Black areas are a nice rust with muted flowers. Here is a close-up:
This whole process was about 2 hours of time. Set-up through clean-up. After the bleach, I rinsed in clear water, then soaked in a bucket of 1 part vinegar + 3 parts water for about 10 minutes. I squeezed out the solution (b/c I didn't have much!) and then soaked the fabric in clear water about 1/2 hour.
When all the fabrics were done, I ran them through the washer & dryer, using woolite and the delicate cycle.
So.... It was fun. It was a learning experience. I'm ready to do something like this again!
I'll use the pieces in a quilt... sometime. No immediate plans. I do think the dyed black fabrics would go nice in a giraffe project!



3 comments:
I LOVE the black ringed piece. I think it's perfect for a sarong-type skirt.
What a wild project. The fabric differences remind me of trying on jeans. Numerous companies cuts' just aren't right for my bod . . .YKWIM??
LOL
Very unique craft. I am enxious to see what you use the fabric to make. I especially like the rings against the black fabric.
Nice job -- I really like the look of the rings and the tied pieces.
You might want to try some
anti-chlor instead of vinegar. Paula Burch has some good info on her site about using vinegar -- not too safe. http://www.pburch.net/dyeing/FAQ/neutralizingdischarge.shtml
She sure seems to know her chemistry (unlike me - a chem class dunce!) :)
Post a Comment