Tuesday, June 17, 2008

June Quilt Guild & Workshop

Yesterday was quilt guild and we had an all-day workshop. What fun!

The workshop (7 students + 1 teacher) was from 10 - 5 p.m. Potluck supper was at 5:30 and our crowd doubled for that. Our guild meeting (65+ members and probably 90% were there) began at 7 with a speaker until 8:10, break for refreshments & visiting, and a fast meeting and show & tell had us there until 9-ish. A long but fun day!

Before the meeting Carole & Karen worked on setting up a picture directory for us. It has been 4 yrs or so since our last one.

For a few years (and I just joined in this year) the guild has offered a nickel square exchange. The color is listed for each month and those participating bring a pair of 5" squares for each participant. This month was light blue. It is fun and I'll get a nice selection of fabric squares for either a nickel square quilt (one example was shown during show & tell) or great scraps for paper piecing small blocks!

Before the meeting, participants place their block sets on each pile. After the meeting or during break, everyone collects their pile to take home.

The program was by a lady that is curator at a Swiss museum in Rockford and also a quilter. After teaching us a TON about preserving fabrics, she showed some older quilts from the museum and some from her own family collection.



Those that attended the workshop showed our bags before show & tell began. Some just pinned their handles on...

...some of us considered the clutch style after working so hard all day and still not having handles!


I finished stitching down the binding this morning and added the handles.

I just love the bag! The size is wonderful for going to more workshops & classes. The scrappy stripped border is the top of large pockets. The end pockets fit a 6" wide ruler! Inside those outside pockets are 2 hidden pockets on each side! Quite roomy!!!

A few highlights from show & tell:

Cheryl's quilt using nickel squares:
Bernie's baby quilt - cute & fast she said!

I just liked this one... interesting layout & great color choices!!

I'm tired today but recovering!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What amazing quilts! I have done only a tiny bit of quilting, Christmas stockings and one baby quilt, but I really enjoyed it.

Anonymous said...

oh, I feel like I was there! Thanks for sharing your Guild meeting with us! I wish I could come visit!

Jules said...

Please Kim... come! :-)

Kim & Dave said...

Wow!!! The quilts are AMAZING!!!