Friday, June 6, 2008

ICHE Home School Convention

Yesterday we went to the Illinois Home School Convention in Naperville. As we arrived, Laurie Bluedorn was taking pictures.

Look who she got! No! Not the people in front, silly! I don't know them! You can see Phil, a smidgen of JP (well, just an eyeball!), and I'm behind the lady in blue.

Other pictures and blog from the ICHE blog are here. You should have been there!

Cathy - I saw Kathy N. LOL She was there with her youngest and the others would go in on Saturday with them.

We so enjoy hearing Norm Wakefield and he was the keynote speaker.

For the 1st workshop, I attended Dr. John Morris on Questioning Evolutions Claims. Phil & JP went to a workshop on heart writing. (Phil is a writer and I think we may see something from this now.)

We met back up and went to Steve Demme's talk on The Family That Stays Together Stays Together. He is very good! Later in the vendor hall, he recognized that JP had been in his workshop and we chatted a bit.

Our last workshop (JP thinks they should be called lectures!) we listened to Dr. John Morris from ICR speak on the Truth of Noah's Flood. Very fascinating as he is so full of scientific information.

Finally it was time to hit the vendor hall!! I must say my men were terrific in there!! We found 2 sets of Adventures in Odyssey for JP; he was then ready to go home!

I got a new canister of wheat gluten for breadmaking and then new cookie dough hooks for my mixer. JP does the cookie baking here and it has taken a sudden downhill slide with 2 broken hooks for the mixer. Chocolate chip cookies are a HUGE weakness for me so if he wants them, he must make them.

We looked for a new math company and then found our previous company, Teaching Textbooks did have Pre-Calculus. Yeah!! Yes, JP said to stay with TT. So I waited my turn to talk to the rep.

Sadly, she told me it wasn't finished and wouldn't be out until the end of the year! Well, I may be a mean mom sometimes but there was no way I'd make him do Pre-Calc in 5 months! Ugh! So we continued on....

I suggested we look at Math-U-See, written by Steve Demme. Sure enough, they do have Pre-Calc. I talked a bit with the rep, we had a family conference, and decided to go with it. So that part of next year is purchased. We didn't start it today! It can wait for August.

It was time to head home! In previous years we have seen Uno's Pizzeria down that road so thought that sounded great! Some of the best pizza we have ever had and totally the best hot wings. Driving, driving, with 3 sets of eyeballs looking for the sign. No Uno's. Bummer!

We stopped at Steak & Shake. JP was thrilled as he LOVES their shakes. No shakes for me or Phil. Knowing Uno's would have been a cheat... I cheated here with 5-way Chili. Pretty good. I've paid today with aches and a nasty headache.

We got home just before 10 p.m. A 12-hour day.


6 comments:

Kim & Dave said...

Have you used MUS before?

We are using it now, & I'm so happy with it, we may continue all the way through....although we are a LONG way from pre-calc.!!!!

Glad you had a good time!

Jules said...

I had some of the earlier MUS. Probably 2nd grade-ish for JP and jr. high-ish for K. I loved the concept but this was a time I was sick a lot and hard for me to keep tabs on K's. So it didn't go so well.

I have already discussed the accountability and that he needs to be sure he understands before moving on with the next lesson. I think the teaching and better concepts will be great for JP. He is already good in Math. I'd love for him to take several CLEP tests and think this Pre-Calc with the Honors program will be good for him.

B/c we only went to the conf on the beginning sort of 1/2 day, their weren't as many options for workshops. I suppose a workshop by Demme for high schoolers would have been a benefit for me! :)

The last few years they have had a great deal on getting the whole conf on MP3 for not much $. I guess I need to look at that ....TODAY!

However.... I loved how MUS taught the beginning place value and such. Very good! And the blocks were so helpful!

Kim & Dave said...

Math is such a building thing, isn't it?

I think the one complaint I have w/ MUS at these early levels is that the book is BORING!!!!

No color! No variety!!!

Oh, well....it IS working!

Jules said...

I agree... the lack of color is a struggle for the youngers.

Anonymous said...

So awesome to see all of you making the homeschool approach work and for the whole family! Still a dream for us but them Mia only turns 5 on Friday of this week. I do think that our older girls would have struggled a lot less with a homeschool -tailored approach vs public school. Josiah is 2 so we are beginning colors, etc.

Jules said...

You can do it Dawn! :) What concerns you?

In the fall, we start year 17 of homeschooling.