Sunday, July 13, 2008

Farm Report

Today was actually dry & sunny... noteworthy for a year like this. For the month of July, we have had over 4" of rain. From Monday, July 7 - Friday, July 11 we had 3 1/2" of rain.

The corn seems to have JUMPED this month so at least the rain is being put to good use in our area.
Thankful
time
&
time
again that we have fields of crop and we aren't flooded.

And now for some farm education....

It seems my 25 years of being married to a fabulous farmer, both in crops and conservation of our soils and in livestock as well.... not enough has rubbed off on me!

I think we have had a bit of oats every year but only have grown wheat for the last few years.

It amazed me that Phil could tell what grain was in whichever field as we were going by at 55 mph.

But he knew.
Every.
Time.

I tried to guess. But it was only a guess.
I was right.... probably about 50% of the time...
...seeing that my choices were usually wheat or oats.

On our way down the last stretch of 2-lane highway to Camp Coachman, we had this discussion again as we passed a lot of wheat fields. He always knows what it is in that field! How?

He said that wheat has a tighter head and oats is more open.















So
when we returned home a few days later, dh took the opportunity to further my farm education.

Here are his teaching examples:

Wheat is on the left (golden) and oats are on the right (green).

I was blown away! I never knew! How silly!!!
















5 comments:

Unknown said...

Never to old to learn, Joyce. That was a good lesson. I didn't know that either.

So with all the rain you should have a good crop this year.

Gonna see your folks and big sister this week.

Unknown said...

OH, how I miss eating BOTH those grains, straight from the field!

~dreamy sigh~

Wonderful to see them again, in their native beauty!

Anonymous said...

I see the difference between oats and wheat, but what about wheat and barley? I'm always having trouble with that one. :)

Dawn, a farmwife in PA

Linda said...

I can tell wheat from oats but I cannot tell the difference between wheat and barley.

Jules said...

Dawn & Linda...

I asked my dh about the difference between wheat & barley and he agreed it is hard to tell.

I don't know if I've even seen barley... not really grown here.