Friday, October 5, 2007

Plot Day #1 for Fall

We squeezed it in by the skin on our teeth but we got it! P really was ready and wanting to combine the County Extension Soybean Plot today but another plot was at 1 p.m. The organizer thought they could be here by 3:30 or so. Yippee! All this was decided late last night so I had to hustle.

With the late start time, I decided to make sandwiches to go with their usual cookies for snack.



But I also had an appointment for the Ford in Freeport today at 9. So out of here by 8:03 a.m., stopped at Gma's for fabrics for K, got gas in Lanark, back home to get old flannel shirts of P's for K, to Freeport for tire balancing. While waiting on the Ford, I packed K's box and enjoyed reading a quilt book and part of a magazine.

Then I took the box to HG for pickup tonight by J, who will get the box to D, who is coming home for the weekend but lives just a few blocks from K. Hopefully by Sunday or Monday, K will have her box of goodies. We'll see how closely she unpacks the box. ;-)

I mailed a big envelope at the PO and got some groceries before heading home. Whew! Just in time... 11:30, so needed to make lunch fast. But alas, I arrived home to the fact that according to his to-do list JP had made cookies. His specialty is Peanut Butter, Chocolate Chip, and Oatmeal Cookies. But had left allll the mess! Ack! So he was put back into action in doing some of the hand wash dishes while I got lunch going on the grill.

After lunch, I made a batch of Gma R's Sugar Cookies. While they baked we covered History which was missed while I was gone this a.m. (JP had worked ahead this week so had a light Friday, good thing! He had finished everything else before I had gotten home.)

When school was done, I started mixing the frosting and doing my dishes when I heard an odd noise out my window. I stretched to see Molly, our collie, having a seizure under the apple tree. Oh. Yuck. She hasn't had one since January when we added a new medicine. But she handled it better, just laid there until we came out. JP helped give her pills to calm her brain so she doesn't continue seizing. By then she was up and pacing all over the yard. Sometimes she forgets us or her name and where her boundaries are, so we had to put her in the barn. P returned from his load and gave her the fan back so that will keep her cool.



Back to the kitchen to frost the cookies! I took a break after cleaning all that up and checked my friends online. About 3:30, I made 12 sandwiches to take to the field and filled the cooler w/ pop and water bottles. I took their snack over about 4:30. They were about 1/2 way done when I left at 5. It is very windy today and oh how dusty in the path of the wind!





For the plot results, each variety of beans is combined and then weighed in this white wagon. The County Extension person records all the varieties and the various weights and moistures. Then each batch is dumped into the regular wagon so the weigh wagon is empty each time P makes a pass and dumps. That is why we have helpers and I feed them!



The combine is parked for tonight but P & JP are unloading at Kappes' where we store some beans. Tomorrow looks to be another beautiful August day! Oops - it is October.... but today was near 90' and bright sunshine. This evening is cooling off just like a nice August night. I think we'll leave some windows open tonight to cool off the house.

P put his new-to-us tractor to good use today. It is a bit of a learning curve to drive but JP handles it quite well! So JP put lots of time in behind this steering wheel today. :-)


And what is this springing up green in October?


P has most of his winter wheat planted with a bit more he hopes to put in tomorrow. We had a bit of rain at the beginning of the week and the wheat just popped! This field is just north of the house and fun to watch. It will lay dormant during the winter and reappear in the spring. Our winter wheat is ready for harvest in July.

No comments: