Monday, September 17, 2007

Report from the Quilt Show

I had a great time at the Madison, WI Quilt Show on Saturday. I'll show 2 of my favorite quilts from the show.


This circus one was made by a man and the zebra stripes are painted. He used such a light touch, it conveyed the color and detail without detracting from the other fabics in the quilt. The white gloved attendant said the quilter added the quilt blocks in the corners to the original pattern and I love the idea!

This other one was made by an author on machine quilting whom I've admired for several years. I have looked at the book, Elegant Machine Quilting by Joanie Zier Poole, at several shops but hadn't bought it yet. (Finally on Sunday, I bought one off the Amazon Used site.
The image “http://img116.exs.cx/img116/6469/g5cgrin.gif” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors. ) Her quilt pictured here is absolutely beautiful and the quilting just made me gaze in awe.


I mostly enjoy the shopping at quilt shows because so many shops are represented with items that may not be in my local shops. One stop was the Golden Threads shop and they were selling a lot of Joanie's patterns for quilting. I got 2 stencils, one with lots of suggested uses (even a wholecloth quilt) and another for borders in a mixture of cables & feathers. I also finally got the Quilt Pounce which I have wanted for a while. It allows easier marking for quilting designs but it doesn't fluff off easily.

Another shop had a lot on photo printing that I've enjoyed. So I got some new items to make some Christmas gifts at a new level. That is exciting! But the details must remain a secret.
The image “http://www.chins-n-quills.com/forums/images/smilies/xmastree.gif” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

Some new varigated quilting threads will get put to use in the next project that I'll be working on. Pictures of that will come later.

I have a myriad of new ideas from the shops and the quilts in the show and I'm hoping at least 2 of them play out for me soon. I'll keep you posted but for now they must remain a secret, too.
The image “http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/4458/winkrm9.gif” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

I spoke with friends of my Aunt (in MD) as they were vending at the show. I had met them a few years ago at the Rosemont, IL show. Their spot is always such a busy one but I interrupted for a minute.

The 2 hr trip was much more enjoyable since
I went with 3 friends . What fun to talk & giggle away the miles!

I'm hoping to be able to go next year for two days, staying at the nearby hotel overnight, and get the chance to take some classes.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wish we knew you were in town Saturday. We were just east of Madison for the wedding, and could have visited a bit between the ceremony and reception.